One of my favorite things to do with all of my couples is photograph their engagement session. It’s my favorite form of third-wheeling (I should include that in my bio: professional third-wheeler! haha), and it’s a great opportunity for me to get to know my couples. There are lots of other reasons why I always include an engagement session with my packages, and if you’re curious why, you can read about it here!
Anywho, while I send all of my couples a guide to help them prepare for their engagement session, I thought I would share my top 10 tips for prepping for your engagement session with all of you!
- Don’t try to MATCH… instead try to pick outfits and accessories that coordinate. If couples wore the same exact color at their engagement session, how boring would those images be?
- Don’t be afraid to be BOLD! Accessorize and make your out to reflect your personality! Scarves, bold necklaces and fun shoes are encouraged! As always, I’m a big fan of color! Also, bringing a prop with your wedding date is a fun way to personalize your session!
- Most patterns are actually ok… however, graphics are not favorable for portraits. If you’re wearing a pattern, make sure it’s not overwhelming or distracting. Also, try to avoid extremely small patterns if you can!
- Empty your pockets! Literally. You don’t want to have key chains or phones showing through your pockets. (This is for the guys especially!)
- Clean the ring! I love to take a few rings shots while you change outfits! The cleaner, the better!
- Most often, couples like to wear one casual, everyday outfit and then one dressier outfit! This will give your shoot two totally different “looks.” I recommend beginning with the dressy outfit first!
- Make sure you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. And ladies, a super low-cut top will limit the number of angles I can shoot from.
- Be mindful of what undergarments you wear – bra straps can be distracting and are difficult to edit out.
- Be on time! The sun is only out for so long! The later you arrive, the less time we have to shoot, and nobody wants that! I usually start all of my sessions about 2 hours before sunset. Once the sun is gone, it’s gone!
- RELAX! You don’t have to be a pro at this! I’m going to help you along the way and it’s going to be a blast! Enjoy this time together, and make a date out of it! Plan dinner afterwards or get ice cream and celebrate!!
Alright, those are my top 10 tips for preparing for your engagement session. Don’t have one planned? I highly recommend it (here’s why!) and encourage you to reach out to your wedding photographer to get one scheduled. I promise you won’t regret it!