Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Kelsie and I'm a wedding photographer based in Columbus, Ohio. Grab a cup of coffee (or in my case - a cup of hot chocolate!), a glass of wine or a bottle of coke and enjoy viewing my latest work, browsing resources for brides and photographers, and getting a little peek into my life!
So many of my couples ask me if I have any recommendations for what they should wear to their engagement session. I love it when they ask me this because the answer is always, “YES!!” I wanted to create a Wedding Wednesday post dedicated just to this topic because it is so important! These tips are exactly that – recommendations for what I think works best! However, use them as a guideline when you are picking your outfits because you certainly don’t need to keep them all in mind if you don’t want to.
Here are my top tips for choosing what to wear to your engagement session!
1. Bring two outfits: one dressier and one on the more casual side. This will give you some more variation in your final gallery.
2. You should coordinate your outfits, not match them! The difference here is that you find colors in the same color family. There’s no need to try to find the exact shade of blue. As long as they are different shades of the same blue family you are good to go!
Frances Roskam Photography took these images for John and me 🙂
3. Accessorize! Accessorize! Accessorize! This is my favorite one, probably because I am a HUGE fan of accessories. I always recommend a statement necklace, some fun shoes or even a patterned scarf. This will add a little pop of color and create a little bit more dimension in your images.
4. If one of you decides to wear a pattern, it’s best if the other person is in more of a solid, neutral color. For example, if your fiance has a plaid button down, then you should refrain from wearing a large pattern as well. Remember, less is more!
5. Some of my couples plan their outfits around the colors of the wedding. This way, if they choose to use pictures from the engagement session on their save the dates, they are aligned with their wedding color scheme!
6. Don’t be afraid to be yourself! If wearing something really fancy just isn’t your style, then don’t do it. If you are always wearing dresses, then don’t wear jeans. I want you to be comfortable in front of the camera, and that starts with what you are wearing!
Well, I hope these tips were helpful. Remember, use this as a guideline! You certainly do not need to follow all of these tips in order to have beautiful photos. I want you to love your images, so you should wear whatever is going to make you happy. If you have any questions, take a look at my Pinterest inspiration board here or send your questions my way!